22 December 2011

Toddler words - keeping count

I'm trying to pay attention to Hudson's word count.  It's fascinating.  He certainly has a mix of Spanish and English.  Here goes:
English -- duck, hot, hat, ball, uh-oh, yay, yuck, milk... probably more.
Spanish -- agua, perro, uvas, zumo, ardilla (?- I think...), disco, guitarra (counts for English too!), adiós, globo, manta, banana, nada.
His list includes a host of random sounds that we know are meant to indicate certain things but don't correlate to either their Spanish or English word.  He does say "mama" and "tada" means dad.  I'm sure I'm missing several but these are the ones that come to mind right away, the ones he uses most.  He also uses several signs pretty well, even though he didn't start using them until waaayyy after I'd been using them with him for a long time.  The books say things like "around 11 months they'll start to use them" but try 18.  Well, they are useful anyway.  He has signs for music, drink, eat, like, all done, and more (also used for "turn on"), as well as change the diaper and wet.

I can ask Hudson to get his shoes, I can ask him if he wants a bath, or a snack, I can ask him if he wants to go outside, I can mention the word guitar in conversation and he's off and running to drag his guitar from the living room.  He understands tons of what we say, this is so very cool.  He doesn't respond in words necessarily but he will run to the kitchen if he wants juice or snack, he'll run to the front door and touch it if he wants to go outside.  He'll run to the bathroom and make sure he points at the lightswitch if he wants his bath.  Too much fun.

No comments: