20 December 2011

Dancing with the bata

I recently (and finally!) was able to attend some classes taught by Sara de Luis in her studio on Capitol Hill and I am reminded what a long ways I have to go to get comfortable with the bata de cola.  I first learned it in Sevilla in 2008 but didn't even finish the four-week class I got so demoralized.  I really tried to push through it but in the end I decided better to keep some sanity and come back to it later. 

This is NOT my bata but  I don't have photos of it.
I think I'm feeling a little more sane about it now, but I still felt myself get nervous and tight as soon as I had to wear it in front of a class and try to follow their steps (which, by the way, they were already learning because I came into the class a week late, way to go).  It requires ballet technique, strong hips, and super duper confidence.  Those things are not what I have, but I'm working on it.  I have a goal to some day perform in it.  I will become best friends with my bata.

Most dancers wait a good several years before learning it because it requires such a different and specialized technique.  I did not take advantage of the ability to practice it when I got back from Sevilla, so left it mostly untouched since then, which was a big mistake.  "Hard core" flamenco is considered "prop-free" but everyone is still expected to know the props, like the bata, the manton, the castanets, the fan.  It's a lot of work.  Luckily I have winter break upon me to dedicate the hours I need...

No comments: